The Phi Chapter of Alpha Sigma Tau was founded when members of Zeta Gamma Phi, a local sorority, were initiated by Mrs. Carrie Washburne Staehle, Alpha Sigma Tau's third National President, on February 17, 1940. Zeta Gamma Alpha was organized in 1931 as the first Greek letter sorority on the Southeastern College campus, for the purpose of functioning as a social club. Its aims were to promote congeniality among the student body and upholding the standards of the college which were scholarship and character.
The first initiated members of Phi Chapter were: Yvonne Jones Walker, Eleda Edmundson Dunlap, Myrta Edmundson, Mary Ellen Tilley, Juanita Steed Jollissant, Evelyn Hogatt Thorne, Charlotte Stewart Fleisher, Margaret Cutrer, Doris Waller Tillery, Margaret D. Lowe, Mary Alexander, and Margaret Waldrop.
Today, Phi Chapter is proud to be named the oldest Sorority on Southeastern's campus.